Saturday, August 8, 2009

Week 8: Final Reflections

The Webtools for Teachers class is wrapping up, and people are moving on, it feels kind of lonely out here in the blogosphere today after having spent the last eight weeks constantly receiving email updates from twitter, blogger and wetpaint on classmates' latest activities, questions, excitement (and frustration) about learning new tools... I have that feeling right now of going on a school trip and becoming really close friends with people you wouldn't normally even talk to, then you go back to school and everyone goes back to their regular friends and on with their normal business.

It's strange not to be going back to work for the third year. I miss the stress and excitement everyone described in their last posts that comes with getting ready to go back to school, and I miss having a physical PLN. As I said earlier in the summer, having an online PLN has been invaluable for me to keep in touch with my career now that I'm staying at home to take care of my kids. However these past couple of weeks have also made me realize that a developing a quality online PLN takes as much effort as a physical one, or maybe even more- because it's easier for people to ignore you online! There is so much going on and people are engaged in so many different web venues that I feel you really have to make a strong case and show your worth before people give you the time a day (while in "the outside world" you just chase people down the hallway until eventually they are forced to stop and talk to you). I have started promoting the Science teacher wiki I put together in a few different forums, twitter, etc. but still haven't seen too much action and nobody has joined except for a few (awesome) classmates. I realize now that it's going to take a bit more legwork than I originally thought to get it off the ground, but with so many Science resources out there, why would anyone care? Anyway, I'll keep working on it as my personal project and hopefully people will find it useful.

And here, I will continue my journey exploring Web 2.0 opportunities for Science teachers. Thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way this summer!

3 comments:

  1. Marta,

    Don't be despondent --- the new wiki has nothing out there like it --secondary teachers don't have much--it is all elementary. If you build it they will come...watched pots don't boil and all that sort of stuff. Remember the weeks right before and right after school begins are communication dead zones...stuck in meetings...keep the faith baybee!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, I like the field of dreams reference... thanks for your encouragement Susan, I think you're right... have fun in those meetings (definitely don't miss those, although you did get to check out the new people and wonder whether they'll be cool or not)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is right- I have trouble finding secondary science teachers to share with. I will keep blogging and twittering, I added the new wiki to my reader.
    Just a personal note- enjoy the time home! I did my career in reverse. 1 yr of college, marriage, 3 boys and then, at age 40 I went back to finish my degree. I would not change a thing. It worked perfectly for me.
    And I am glad to have you just a click-of-the-keys away if I need help!

    ReplyDelete