Sunday, June 21, 2009

Google Reader has Rocked My World

In my opinion, Google Reader is everything it promised to be and more. It has made by life so much easier. It's pretty straightforward to use and if you have a Google account, the reader is already pretty much set up for you, all you have to do is go to http://www.google.com/reader and sign in. Then just surf the internet for you favorite blogs and news sites and click the subscribe icons to add them to your Reader list. Once you have a few, you can play around with it to find what works for you.

Expert Village videos (on Youtube) have a lot of clear and concise videos on many different tech topics, there are a bunch about Google Reader such as how to get started, how to add feeds, how to organize them, how to read them, etc. I found this one very useful, it shows how to create folders to organize feeds so they are easier to follow:

If you'd rather read a quick article about it instead of watching the video, click here.



I like the Google reader gadget too, which you can add to your iGoogle page for even more convenience. Download Google reader gadget here.

I was wondering about Feedburner vs. Google Reader. It seems like Feedburner is now part of Google, so Google Reader has taken its place (I think).

I am still a bit unclear about subscribing to Blogs versus subscribing to comments. Right now, I signed up to follow classmates' blogs (and they appear on the Reader)- and this shows me the latest posts from each author. Then I also clicked the "Subscribe: Posts (Atom)" at the bottom of each blog and that makes another link in the reader titled "Comments on (so and so's blog)" which shows any new comments people make on that blog. My question is, if you want get updates on both posts and comments, would just doing the "Subscribe: Posts (Atom)" be enough or do you also have to Follow?

No comments:

Post a Comment