Friday, June 19, 2009

Guiding Principles Part III (The Final Word)

This is pretty cheesy, but we all know how much teachers and students love mneumonics, so here is one I have created for myself to remember my Guiding Principles when integrating technology into my classroom...

Inform myself and become familiar with webtools available
Network to get ideas
Start with learning objectives
Plan from start to Wrap up
Idealistic? scrap
Realistic? go
Evaluate the learning experience

Questions I will keep asking myself along the way... (based on the Jeff Utecht article):

Will the technology be creating new and different learning experiences for the students by...
... allowing them to learn from people they never would have been able to without it?
...allowing them to interact with information/ scientific data in a way that is meaningful and would otherwise not be possible?
...allowing them to create and share knowledge with an audience they would never would have had access to without teachnology?... allowing them to learn from people they never would have been able to without it?
Is it a replacement for the way we do things or is it something completely new and pushes both the students and teacher to new heights, new learning and new knowledge?

If at the end of the technology-enhanced learning experience the students are more excited about the Science they learned than the technology they used, I will know that I have integrated the technology into my instruction efficiently.

2 comments:

  1. For my middle schoolers, my main goal was to make them excited about science. Too many kids get to HS and hate science. I speak to these HS students and the bad attitude starts in middle school. Using technology is one way to keep it new and exciting, after all they all use some form of tech daily.
    Share more on your evaluate. Do you use or envision using tech for quizzes or tests?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy,
    I agree completely that using Technology to get the kids excited has to count for something... I also curious about this disconnect that exists between attitude towards Science in MS and in HS. It's so sad. I teach HS, so I have to work extra hard to get them motivated and excited. I wonder why they lose interest in Science as they move up... do you think it's because there is more pressure on them (grades, exams, college, etc) and more focus on everything they "need to know" rather than immersing them in the actual process of Science for its intrinsic value?
    I also think that HS Science very often turns them off from pursuing a Science degree in college, which is also sad because college Science really has so much more to offer, they wont even give it a chance though...
    In terms of evaluation, I was thinking more in terms of students evaluating their own learning in a way that would be helping their learning process and my teaching (ie. what have they learned, what are they still unclear on...). In terms of formal assessment, we'd have to give it some thought. There are many online test banks, etc. out there, that would definitely make our life easier in terms of admin, but would it be an effective use of technology? I don't know...

    ReplyDelete