Monday, July 13, 2009

Animations and ShareTabs Tool


I find computer models to be among the most valuable tools in my Science teaching. There are many complex and abstract concepts in Science but most can be easily understood with a simple computer simulation (eg. DNA Translation and Transcription, Enzymatic action) or animations in which you can manipulate variables. The value of simulations is summarized on p. 23 of the Technology in Secondary Science Classroom text: "Learners can observe, explore, recreate, and receive immediate feedback about real objects, phenomena, and processes that would otherwise be too complex, time consuming or dangerous."

Other benefits of using computer simulations that were mentioned:
  • Simplifying real world environments helps students focus
  • 3D manipulatives as opposed to the 2D picture presented in textbooks
  • Highlight student preconceptions about specific scientific concepts
  • Promote learning about what ifs and possibilities
  • Ability to manipulate environment and control variables easily
  • Make many more observations quicker and more accurately (so results are easier to understand/ analyze when you decrease the potential for human error when measuring, etc).
  • Simple to predict outcomes/ test out multiple hypotheses
  • Students are enthusiastic, more focused and engaged when working on simulation activities

The first place I always go to when looking for Science animations is: http://nhscience.lonestar.edu/biol//animatio.htm which encompasses a great collection of links to all sorts of interactive activities and simulations. I also frequently use the CDs that come with most textbooks now or download videos from YouTube. One of my favorite activities in the past has been to have students make their own computer simulations of a difficult topic in Biology (most made claymation movies), I have also made them myself using iStop Motion software which is fun and easy to use (it's for Macs and you have to pay, but I'm sure there are free ones and for PCs as well). You could probably also do it with any video editing tool, all you need is a basic digital video camera and playdough (or markers to animate drawings). I wish I could put one up but I have to figure out how I could do that since I have them in a finalized DVD and in iMovie format... any ideas?

On a separate note, I came across a tool called "ShareTabs" recently (they use it in the Classroom 2.0 live webinars to share the links at the end of each session). It allows you to share up to 30 links. It does this by creating a webpage with its own URL which displays all the links as icons you can click on, but also as open tabs at the top of the page. You can open all links and navigate through them or copy them all at once. It is similar to what Natasha shared called "All My Faves" but simplified and there is no registration or anything required. They links can't however be organized into categories or edited once the page has been created. It is really easy and quick to use, I think it would be great to share links with students for projects or for students to share links when working as a group.

To show you an example, I have made a page for the simulation links provided by some classmates on the iTeachSTEM website. Check it out http://sharetabs.com/?animations

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh, Share tabs is most cool. The visual screen shot helps me as I recognize sites by 'look' more than. I appreciate your showing this tool; it helps more than just telling me. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete