Sunday, July 19, 2009

Week 5 Reflections

This week I explored an area which I hadn't invested much time in before, using real data sets in my teaching. I particularly like the idea of "network projects" where students themselves collaborate in the data reporting such as the CEISE Project for Human Genetics. As it states on page 67 of our textbook, "In these projects, the use of real-time internet resources and using students as information resources for data reporting has the potential to enhance student understandings of scientific phenomena." Being actively involved in the project and being held accountable for the data would give students a sense that what they are doing has a purpose and they would be more likely to take ownership of their learning. I can see how using real data sets in the classroom would take a lot of prep though, I would want to make sure that I am comfortable with the data sets I have the students analyze and that I have thought through what I want them to get from the exercise and how the best way to achieve this goal is (ie. how much teacher guidance they would need, class time versus at home time, group work versus individual, assessment, reporting of results, etc.)

I have compiled everyone's link contributions of real data/ inquiry sites here so that they are easy to copy all at once: http://sharetabs.com/?realdatainquiry

Thanks to Rob for directing me to the WISE (Web-based Science Inquiry Environment) website, it's awesome, most valuable thing I've learned all week! I'd come across it before but never stopped to explore it until I read Rob's blog post. That is exactly what I had in mind when thinking about how important it is to network/ research what's out there before reinventing the wheel (because I'm definitely the type to waste hours making something that is already available- and for free!). There are some great inquiry-based projects like the "Mitosis & Cell Processes" one where students investigate the link between the cell cycle, cancer and potential cures. I also like how you can create and share your own web-based inquiry projects and run projects alongside other teachers so students from different classes can interact.

Other useful tools I learned about from my PLN this week that I could use in my teaching:

Free poll generator (via to 2c worth blog) would be a great tool to use to get a feel for how much students know about a topic before we start it, or to get the class' opinion about a controversial matter we are getting ready to discuss (eg. "Would you pay extra for organic food to avoid GM food?" or when discussing the characteristics of living things... "Would you consider a person in a vegetative state who is kept alive by a heart lung machine to be living?" etc)

IzzyTodo (via Free Tech for Teachers) webtool for building to-do lists, keep multiple lists and add targets. Can be used by students to set goals for themselves. Objectives can be broken down into smaller goals. Also Track Class- online planner for students to keep track of assignments. And I just caught wind of Google Tasks from @jutecht as another to-do list tool, which I have to check out since I love everything Google.

I am really impressed with what Miss Baker continues to do with her blogging. She is redoing her site, now called "Extreme Biology" and there are some recently published posts written by her students. I like how below each one there are discussion/ thought-provoking questions and you can see other students' replies to them.

Thanks to Patti for suggesting Teachers 2.0 social network, for teachers helping teachers learn and teach using digital technologies. The problem I see with these social networks right now is that they are not getting much action during the summer, so although I've signed up to a couple, I can't really tell how active they are on a regular basis or how useful they are going to be for me.

Kind of useless but just plain fun... www.befunky.com- cartoonize yourself! This is me eating a lobster in Boston...

3 comments:

  1. Way to go, Marta on the compilation of all the inquiry links. This will be very helpful as I begin to sort through all this material.

    I listened to the archived beginner wiki series part III today. I saw that you were an active participant in that Elluminate session with Sue Waters. Have you started a wiki?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that was one of the first sessions I participated in. I had actually already created two wikis in wikispaces (one for a Biofuels project with my Intro Bio class and one for my Biotechnology Senior Elective), the links to them can be found in the wiki page of the iTeachSTEM site. They aren't great, I was just using the wikis for the sake of it without really thinking through their upkeep or value to the students. After these past of weeks, I can see how I could improve them and get a lot more out of them.

    Wikispaces is very easy to use, I haven't created a wiki with WetPaint yet, so I'm not sure how they compare...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the looks of the CEISE project as well. Allowing my students to work with other students and be a part of a bigger, collaborative project I think would be great for them. It will allow them to really see that there is science taking place taking place not only outside my classroom but also outside the school. They get so isolated and rigid in their thinking sometimes that they don't see any of it existing in real life.

    ReplyDelete