Monday, July 27, 2009

Delicious, Diigo, both or neither?

By now, with the size of the internet and the number of new and useful sites and tools that are popping up every minute, everyone can appreciate the value of social bookmarking tools to keep track of links. For teachers, there is great potential fir using these tools, eg. from sharing specific links with students that you want them to use for a project to collaborating with other teachers in your discipline around the country to create a rich hub for useful, subject specific, web resources. Here is a list of Top 10 Social Bookmarking Tools for Educators.

I use Delicious to quickly tag everything I come across of interest, but I at this point I need to spend some time organizing it and getting more out of it than a mere repository of links which follow little rhyme or reason at the moment.

I had heard great things about Diigo, so I signed up. The first time I tried to use it, I was so overwhelmed by the number of features it has and options in the toolbar that I haven't touched it since. Some people say there is a place for both Delicious and Diigo. And then there are also all the other tools that I haven't explored yet.

So, what bookmarking tool do you use? Please answer the poll question and comment below if you'd like. Any tips on using either tool or any others would be appreciated. (Eg. How do you categorize your tags? Is it better to have a lot of tags or a select few?) And if you'd like to build on your bookmarking network, include your username so that others participating in this discussion can add you.

6 comments:

  1. I have both Delicious and Diigo accounts, but most of my bookmarks are stored either in my Google Notebooks (if I marked it before last winter) or in a Drop.io page that I created for the purpose of bookmarking.
    The reason I've used Google Notebooks and Drop.io is that I prefer the simple, clean interfaces of both. At this point it's also a matter of habit. I have the Drop.io bookmarklet on every browser on every computer I use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I hadn't even started to explore those yet, so thanks for forcing me too!! :) But seriously, what is wrong with using my Google Bookmarks for everything that I love? I've already got Google tool bar, Google Earth, Google Reader, iGoogle, etc. Why do I want to learn new tricks? Convince me that these other tools are worth it (says the old sea dog).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check out Drop.io, never heard of it. Does anyone else use it?

    Marnee, I think the main difference between these social bookmarking tools and the Google Bookmarks is that they allow you to share your links with others, while Google Bookmarks is private.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I signed up for Diigo. I searched the Delicious vs. Diigo argument and decided to plunge into the tool that has more features. I, too, need to organize my bookmarks and learn more about the features.

    There is a MSSE Physics course whose instructor has you complete a web review per week. It would have been great to use on of these sites rather than discuss it in a thread. I would have those sites organized by now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious is still "where the conversation is happening" for the time being. I still use Delicious as my main bookmarking/sharing tool for the same reason I would choose YouTube for a video that I wanted to be seen. There are a large number of sites that do video even better than YouTube. However, YouTube owns a majority of "the conversation potential" right now.

    I LOVE the potential of Diigo. The featureset which includes live annotation of webpages is really exciting. Here's betting that this gets quite a bit more exploration in my Dual Credit Biology course this year.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use both Delicious and Diigo. The great thing is you can use both, but really only use one. They do the same thing but are different and serve different purposes.

    Diigo: Love the way you can highlight webpages and leave sticky notes on web pages. This is really the niche for Diigo. You can also save those pages into your Diigo social-bookmarks.

    The other great thing about Diigo is you can link your Delicious account to it, so that anything you bookmark in Diigo automatically gets bookmarked in Delicious. I do this as Nashworld above points out that's where the community is and you want to add and use the community.

    So by using both and tieing them together you can get the best of both worlds. In Diigo go to Tools-Save Elsewhere and put in your Delicious username and password and you're set up to use both.

    Couple other reasons why I like both:

    I like the way Diigo formats and sends my latest bookmarks to my blot at utechtips.com.

    I like the delicious toolbar in Firefox better. Clean and simple and use it to manage grouped tags.

    I like the delicious sidebar better in Firefox

    Love the ability of the Diigo Toolbar to one click highlight and sticky note web pages and see the highlights and sticky notes of others.

    By using both, I think you get the best of both worlds. :)

    ReplyDelete