Friday, July 24, 2009

Trying out Voicethread

Had my first go at Voicethread today and I have to admit that, once you get past the initial stage of total awkwardness watching and listening to yourself, it's actually pretty fun! I had to record some of the sound clips so many times, because being foreign sometimes I get the pronunciations totally wrong and my accent comes out funny, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Anyway, great tool, would definitely use it in my class as a more interactive alternative to powerpoint or as a homework assignment to have students answer questions on a specific topic before we are about to start it in order to get feedback on the preconceptions they are coming in with. Any feedback/ comments welcome of course. I think I was looking at the wrong place the whole time I was filming, I guess I should have been looking at the camera instead of the screen, it's hard to do when you're so self-conscious about what you look like when you're speaking... haha. Well, here it is...



I am also posting this powerpoint of ways to use Voicethread in the classroom that I am pretty sure has been posted before, but just in case people missed it. It was created by Tom Barrett- ICT in My Classroom blog.



Browsing through the Science category voicethreads, I found this one on Newton's Third Law of Physics that I thought was well done.



I'm off to try Screencasting now...

2 comments:

  1. Nice use of VoiceThread. I liked the way you mixed up the typed, spoken, and video notes. I also like the idea of using this tool to determine preconceptions about a topic.

    I thought the 3rd law video was a bit misleading. The action/reaction pairs were not described the way I would describe them. For example when the girl pulled the book off the boy's hands as an action, the reaction force pulls the girl toward the boy (she doesn't move because of friction). The action of the boy's hand going up, has a reaction of pushing the boy harder onto the floor (if he was on a scale, his apparent weight would go up). The added comment of the person leaning on the wall is a good example of the third law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree about the 3rd law voicethread. Though I´m not a Physicist, I understand what you mean. I do like how she used her students to do the demonstrations and how a teacher from a different part of the country could comment and add her own example.

    ReplyDelete