Saturday, July 25, 2009

Trying out Screencasting

Screencasting was a lot more frustrating than Voicethread, mainly because every time you mess up, you have to start the whole thing over from the beginning. I figured out after trying it a few times that you can export the screencast at the end and then edit it with Windows Movie Maker, so I could cut some "mess ups" or long silences out, but it was time consuming and though its easy to delete segments, it would be difficult to add things in. It was the first attempt though, and I have to say that the end result is pretty neat.

I can definitely see myself using it to show students how to use a technology feature before we use it in class or to show them something I want them to try for homework (eg. creating a blog, editing the class wiki, using Google Earth, giving them a virtual tour of all of the class' digital resources, etc.) I intend to practice a bit more with it, the Pause button is definitely a time saver, because I was spending too much time during the screencast waiting for different windows to open. Once I discovered the Pause button, I would pause the screencast, then wait for the desired window to open, and resume the screencast. It went much smoother like that!

My screencast was created using Screencast-o-Matic and uploaded to YouTube.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about screencasting and the need for editing. My original screencast was about 8 minutes longer than the one I actually posted. All in all it probably took me 4 tries to get it acceptable. Looking back, I liked that it made me refine my message and self edit what I was saying. Knowing myself, that's something I need to work on as a presenter (nevermind the "uhhmms" I heard myself say numerous times), and so I didn't mind as much when I had to do it over a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, fabulous job on combing out all sorts of technology tips for this class. Secondly, I completely agree with your Screencast vs. VoiceThread analysis. I absolutely love the Screencast result, but it was a deep-breathing exercise getting there. One of the things I'd like to ask you is how did you successfully embed your Screencast on your blog? After numerous attempts, I gave up. My screencast embedded fine on the class web site, but it was huge (in size, and I couldn't re-size it) when I embedded it on my blog. I did start uploading it to YouTube, but that kept saying uploading in progress...So, I just moved on, linking it...very disappointing. I appreciate any ideas you have on this...

    Thanks again for your top-notch technology work!

    ReplyDelete