Sunday, July 19, 2009

Creative Commons

This is the second part of the post that I set out to write last week for answering my own questions about Copyright issues in education. I want to make a few notes about Creative Commons to basically "think out loud." The first time I heard about Creative Commons (a few weeks ago) I was really confused as to what it referred it, I thought it was somehow part of Copyright Law. Now I understand that Creative Commons is a non-profit organization which has set out to accomplish what Copyright has fallen short of accomplishing: promoting creativity.

Creative Commons enables authors of media works to give up the rights they are granted by copyright law- partially or fully. Anyone can sign up for free Creative Commons licenses through their site or several programs like Flickr.com.

Useful sites:

If you haven't already, check out the Creative Commons Search feature on the Google Search bar/ drop down menu... very handy!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your exploration on copyright. I too have heard about Creative Commons and appreciate your additional insight.

    The attribute license information was particularly helpful, because I'm exploring the use of some of my programs.

    I'll have to read your other blog this week. Thanks for answering your questions and mine!

    P.S. I'm not sure why, but it was interesting to see the United Nations on the directory of organizations.

    ReplyDelete